This past Sunday, our wonderful Religious School teachers had the opportunity to spend the morning with educators from Shalom School and the other synagogues in the Sacramento region. The director of Shalom School, Nancy Leaderman and I presented a program of ideas and strategies centering around writing intentional and measurable learning objectives, and creating lessons that are engaging and meaningful for our students. In my session, I shared a video that I think everyone should see. It deals with Experiential learning and how powerful it is for humans in general and our children in particular. Click here to view the video.
When learning is paired with something that creates an emotional or sensory response, students are much more likely to remember the experience and move that learning into their long term memory. Once it is in their long term memory, teachers can access it as prior knowledge and build on it to create deeper connections and stronger comprehension.
At home, you create experiences for your children every single day. They make sense of their world through the things that happen within your home. They then compare those experiences with things they observe outside of your home to create rules and understanding of the world around them. Take a moment to think about the connections you are creating for your children in the world of Judaism. If you have not exposed them to the sights, smells and tastes of Shabbat, make a commitment to do that this month. If you need help to make it happen, ask! Anything I can do to connect you more deeply to the Jewish community, I will do! Remember, although we all have to be intentional to be Jewish in Northern California, you are not alone. The awesome community that is Temple Or Rishon is here to help!
+++++++++++++ Announcements ++++++++++++++
Wednesday, November 2 @6:30pm – Hebrew School and Madrichim Training – madrichim training is for those madrichim who are in their first year working with religious school kids.
Friday, November 4 @ 6:45pm – Family Shabbat featuring the PreK/Kinder Class. Join us for a lovely Shabbat service and hear the PreK/Kinder class share about Noah’s ark.
Sunday, November 6th- Daylight Savings Ends – set your clock back an hour
- @ 8:30am – Annual Pancake Breakfast – this time benefiting our fabulous TASTY Youth Group. Plan to have breakfast here on Sunday with other families from TOR. $5 per person.
- @ 9:30am – Parent Education for 3rd through 5th grade parents. This week, we are discussing the idea of B’tzelem Elohim – that we are all made in the image of God.
- Order Religious School T-Shirts – We have a fun religious school t-shirt designed and we are asking for pre-orders this Sunday. We have a tie-dye party planned for November 20th where the students will tie-dye their new shirts. Watch your email for a specific note about this event.
Wednesday, November 9th @ 6:30 – Hebrew School
Saturday, November 12th from 5 to 9 – Parent’s Night Out. Drop your kids (ages 2 to 10) off at Temple and go out on the town! Cost is $25 for the first child and $20 for each additional sibling. Program includes dinner, games and a movie. RSVP by November 10th to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, November 13th
- @ 9:30am – PreK/Kinder trip to Folsom Zoo
- @ 10:30am – Annual School Fundraiser Meeting.