I hope everyone enjoyed their last Sunday off. It was very wet and windy out – actually, it still is right now! I’m looking forward to seeing you all this week.
Last week, I gave you 20 different mitzvot to strive to follow in the new year. This week, I’ll share the second half of “2017,” with 17 ways to engage in Jewish life – as a family and individually. I hope that in the list, you will find at least 5 things that you and your family can commit to doing in this new year.
- Attend Shabbat services once per month – think about it,that’s only 12 times per year. There are 52 weeks in the year. You can attend 20%, can’t you?
- Attend a Bar or Bat Mitzvah this year – it’s a great way to support our kids and see the amazing things they accomplish in leading the congregation!
- Light Shabbat Candles at home
- Say the Shema before bed each evening
- Take a trip to San Francisco and visit the Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Participate in the Federation’s Shabbat Shalom program – celebrating Shabbat with Jewish seniors in assisted living facilities.
- Check out one of the Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries in the Sierra foothills. (Come to the program on January 18th to find out more about them)
- Come help out with the class projects on mitzvah day this coming Sunday.
- Send your kid to Jewish camp – either during the school year for a weekend, or over the summer for an extended period. Attend the Camp Showcase on February 12th to learn about all of the camps in our area.
- Take a trip to Israel – admittedly a little more involved, but OH SO COOL!
- Host an Oneg either for the regular service or Tot Shabbat – contact the office for more details.
- Attend a Passover Seder – either at home, with a friend, or with the temple on the 2nd night (April 11th).
- Join a Chavurah. There is an informational meeting this Sunday at 11am.
- Join a committee at TOR – the Mitzvah committee is a great place to start – or Men’s Club and Or Rishon Women.
- Attend the Purim Spiel – Saturday, March 11th. It’s gonna be AWESOME!
- Support our scholarship fund or buy stock in our teen trip to Chicago.
- Help out with Purim this year! Be in the spiel, help plan the carnival – lots of opportunities for engagement there!
Even if you are only able to do one of the things above, that’s okay too. We just want you to know that there are so many ways to get involved. Our temple family is big and warm and welcoming. Make a point of finding a way to engage with us this year!
++++++++++ Announcements ++++++++++
Wednesday, January 11th @ 6:30 – Hebrew School and Confirmation Class; Welcome to our new 4/5 teacher, Yifat Revah! Yifat will be teaching on Wednesday evenings and Morah Sara will still be with us on Sunday mornings.
Friday, January 13th @ 10am – Gan K’tan (a mommy/daddy and me class for kids under 5)
Saturday, January 14th @ 10am – Bat Mitzvah of Maddie Willenborg – Mazel Tov, Maddie!
Sunday, January 15th –
- Religious school Mitzvah Day – We really need your help to make all of these mitzvah projects work. For many classes, Sunday is the day to start the project and they will be continuing their projects through the month of February. Please visit the Mitzvah Projects page for information about your child’s class project.
- @ 11am – Chavurah Interest Event – is your family part of a chavurah yet? If you are new, or even if you’re not, it’s a great way to make connections with other families that share similar interests and have kids of similar ages.
- @ 11:45 – Tie Dye Event – FINALLY!!! If your child ordered a shirt, they’ll be tie-dying it right after school so expect them to be done between 12:15 and 12:30.
Wednesday, January 18th @6:30 – Hebrew School and Teen OR; Also, Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries program for Adult Education.
Friday, January 20th @ 6pm – Tot Shabbat
Saturday, January 21st @ 10am – Bar Mitzvah of Evan Schroeder – Mazel Tov, Evan!
Also on Saturday, Jan 21st @ 9:30am – TASTY Mitzvah Day at Ronald McDonald House. Visit our Mitzvah Projects page for a list of items the RMHC needs.
+++++++++Save the Date+++++++++
February 11th from 5 to 9pm- bring your kids to Parent’s Night Out while you attend a Dinner for 8! Sign ups will start on January 22nd.
March 11th @ 5:30pm – Annual Purim Dinner and Spiel. This year’s play is The Pirates of Purim and we need pirates! First rehearsal will be Sunday, January 22nd from 12pm to 2pm.
March 12th @ 10am – Annual Purim Carnival – $12 per child